TREATMENT OF DEPRESSION
IN AFRICAN AMERICAN ADOLESCENTS
Sponsored by Safe Harbor Christian Counseling
Family Restoration & Healing Center & City of Hope International Worship Centre
Who Should Attend? - This workshop is intended for Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Social Workers, Pastors, lay people, youth workers, parents and interested others.
When: Friday, October 26, 2012, 8:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Where: City of Hope International Worship Centre, 9033 Red Branch Road, Columbia, Maryland
Cost $35 for CEU Credits
3 Category I CEU's – for social workers in Maryland
3 Category A CEU's – for professional counselors in Maryland
Free: for Safe Harbor Counselors, clergy and lay church leaders and interested others
Presenter: Mirian Ofonedu, Ph.D, LCSW-C
The goal of this workshop is to provide a thorough knowledge of the symptoms, etiological factors, and intervention strategies for depression in African American adolescents. Latest research will be combined with intervention strategies honed from the presenter's long experience working with African American (AA) adolescents with mental health and behavioral concerns.
Part I: Depression in African American Adolescents
- What is Depression? Background and Statistics
- What are the risk factors for depression in AA adolescents?
- What are the symptoms of Depression?
- How do depressive symptoms present in AA adolescents?
Part II: Assessment and Treatment
- Case Studies presentation
- How to recognize and treat
- Discussion of five common themes found in the description of depression by AA adolescents
- What are the cultural implications to Assessment and Treatment? Need to recognize cultural differences in symptom presentation.
- Coping strategies used by AA adolescents to deal with the pains of depression
- Recommendations for Clinical Practice
To equip professionals, clergy, laypeople, helpers, parents, and others with comprehensive strategies resulting in more effective outcomes in the management and recovery from depression.
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Call Erik Sundquist, LCSW-C, Director, Safe Harbor Christian Counseling at: