Safe Harbor Christian Counseling
PARTNERING WITH PASTORS AND CHURCHES
Safe Harbor Christian Counseling strongly holds the view that "There is one body and one Spirit.... one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all..." (Ephesians 4:4-6); "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts and though its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ." (1 Corinthians 12:12).
It is to this end that we partner with pastors and churches to strengthen the body for works of service. Our goal is to function in a complimentary capacity to the work of pastors and lay leaders in order to play a vital role in the ministry of the church.
We provide counseling services to individuals, couples, and families that pastors and other lay leaders refer to us. This includes working with children, adolescents, adults, and older adults.
2. Church Partnerships
Several churches participate in our Counseling Assistance Program (CAP). This program functions similar to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) in that the fees are reduced for clients who attend churches that participate in the program. When a church has a CAP contract with Safe Harbor, the church pays a monthly or yearly fee, and members receive services at significantly reduced rates.
The advantage of this program is that it encourages people in the congregation who need help to seek that help because it is more affordable. This makes Christian counseling more accessible to your congregation. It also frees the pastor from spending large amounts of time counseling people, thereby enabling him to invest his time in leading and creating a vision for his church.
If you are interested in discussing this program in more detail, please email Erik Sundquist or call 1-800-305-2089 ext. 227. We can customize an agreement that will best meet the needs of your congregation.
3. Leadership Training
We offer staff development packages to help churches enhance their ministry effectiveness. This program takes place by working with either the pastoral staff of large churches or the lay leaders / board of small or mid-sized churches. The program consists of individual coaching for each of your pastors / leaders and group sessions where particular attention is given to the dynamics of the group as a whole. This is accomplished through the use of leadership and personality inventories, which draw attention to strengths and weaknesses of the group.
This program typically takes place over a 2-4 month period of time and involves 2-3 individual sessions and 2-3 group sessions. We can modify the package to best meet the needs of your church. The value of this service is that it not only enhances the effectiveness of each individual on your team, but it also moves your team toward experiencing biblical community. This is the beginning of your church as a whole experiencing the unity that Christ desires for His body.
4. Clinical Supervision
We offer training and supervision for pastors who perform counseling as part of their ongoing ministry. This is done by meeting one-on-one with one of our staff members to discuss biblical counseling principles as they relate to actual cases that you are dealing with.
We offer seminars on various issues related to emotional and spiritual health. Safe Harbor Christian Counseling has staff members with diversified areas of expertise who are able to conduct a seminar on a topic of value to your church.
6. Speaking Engagements
Safe Harbor also provides leadership training or in-services on various issues related to leadership and ministering to the needs of people. This service typically takes place in a 1-2 hour time period at a staff meeting or church leadership meeting with lay leaders in your congregation.
7. Hosting a Satellite Counseling Location
Approximately 40 churches nationwide host Safe Harbor counseling offices on site at their church. For more information related to this arrangement, please email Erik Sundquist or call 1-800-305-2089 ext. 227. These churches have enjoyed several benefits of this partnership including:
- Increased accessibility of christian-based professional counseling to members of the church.
- Provision of an onsite resource to those that the church is ministering to in the community.
- Positive image of the church in the community as a place that cares about the needs of people.
- Providing a service that enables people from outside of the church to come onto the campus of the church and have a positive experience.
- Serving as an onsite resource to leaders in the church who may need consultation related to those they are ministering to.
- It facilitates the emergence of co-laborers.
- It allows you to focus on your strengths and calling.
- It allows you to be proactive instead of reactive.
- It is like adding multiple staff members to your pastoral team without any cost to you.
- It makes help more accessible to people in your congregation who need it, but do not want to intrude on your busy schedule.
- It encourages people to take responsibility for their lives.
- It preserves your spiritual and emotional health.
- When someone's problems have not been resolved in a couple of meetings with you.
- When the severity of someone's problems extend beyond your training.
- When you find yourself working outside of your calling and giftedness during too much of your ministry.
- When you feel burned out and overextended.
If your church is interested in learning more about hosting a satellite counseling office or a seminar from or speaking engagement with Safe Harbor, please email Erik Sundquist or call 1-800-305-2089 ext. 227.